By Scott Wintermute
One Ojai family is displaced from their home today due to a Tuesday night fire that destroyed their garage, damaged their home and burned countless irreplaceable family heirlooms
Becky Monahan went out to check the laundry in the dryer shortly after her two girls headed to rent a movie, only to find smoke and flames billowing out from between the wall and machine.
“She started screaming, ‘Fire,’ so I grabbed the fire extinguisher.” said Tim Grant, the girls’ father who fought the blaze to little avail before it got into the walls and attic of their home and became too much for a garden hose to handle. Luckily, firefighters from Stations 21, 22 and 23 arrived at the scene and were able to contain the damage to the attached garage.
“Once they got here, it didn’t take them long to get it 90 percent contained,” said Grant.
No one was harmed in the incident, which occured around 10 p.m. Tuesday, including beloved pets Frankie the dog and Squirt the cat, after Grant ushered them out of the house. “The firemen got the guinea pig out.” added Grant.